Bright, crunchy, and colorful, this easy Seven Layer Salad recipe is a fun blast from the past for any party. Make it as-is, just like you remember it, or switch up those layers in a million different delicious ways.
Servings : 12 servings
Calories : 285kcal
- 1 head lettuce shredded
- 1/2 cup red onion diced
- 2-3 celery ribs sliced (about 1 cup)
- 12 ounces frozen peas thawed
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 pound bacon fried and crumbled
Spread the lettuce evenly in the bottom of a glass bowl. Top with red onion, celery, and peas.
Spread mayonnaise on top of celery and sprinkle with sugar. Top with cheddar cheese and bacon. Cover and chill.
- Lettuce: Iceberg, crispy head lettuce, or Romaine.
- Hard Boiled Eggs: Not in my Seven layer salad! But many people say that’s how they make it.
- Mayonnaise dressing: Plain, good quality mayo like Hellman’s or Best Foods is perfect. A little sugar makes it just slightly sweet, but even that’s optional if you’re watching your sugar intake.
- Miracle Whip: Substitute Miracle Whip for the mayo if you are a Miracle Whip fan. The only difference between them is that the salad dressing Miracle Whip already has added sugar, paprika, and garlic powder.
- Sour cream: Some cooks love mixing half mayo, half sour cream for a tangier dressing.
- Parmesan cheese: A few tablespoons of freshly grated Parmesan cheese taste great added to the mayo.
- Add meat: You could layer in some turkey or ham instead of the bacon.
- Extra veggies: Change out your layers for different vegetables like bell peppers, cherry tomatoes, artichoke hearts, roasted red peppers, scallions
- Change the cheese: Pick the cheese you love like smoked provolone, blue cheese, or feta cheese
- More toppings: Not traditional, but avocado, olives, and crunchy fried onions are so good!
Calories: 285kcal | Carbohydrates: 7g | Protein: 11g | Fat: 24g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Cholesterol: 36mg | Sodium: 504mg | Potassium: 219mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 780IU | Vitamin C: 12mg | Calcium: 85mg | Iron: 1mg