Yield: SERVES 6
Prep time: 10 MINUTES
Cook time: 55 MINUTES
Total time: 1 HOURÂ 5 MINUTES
- 500g (17.5oz) of extra lean beef mince
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 1 red pepper, finely chopped
- 2 jalapenoâ€™s, deseeded and chopped
- 1 tin (540ml) of kidney beans, drained
- 800ml (3.3 cups) of chopped tomatoes
- 1 can (156ml) of tomato paste
- 3 cups (720ml) of beef stock
- 2 teaspoons of paprika
- 2 teaspoons of cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon of cayenne pepper – optional (omit if you don’t like too spicy)
- 1 tsp of oregano
- 1 tablespoon of balsamic vinegar
- olive oil spray
- Spray a large casserole dish over a medium high heat with some olive oil spray.
- Add the mince, onion and garlic and fry until browned.
- Add the carrots and fry for a further few mins
- Add the spices, chopped tomatoes, tomato paste, red pepper, jalapenos, balsamic vinegar and stock and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to a simmer, add in kidney beans, cover and cook for approx 45 mins until sauce has reduced and thickened.
- Serve topped with a little fat free Greek yoghurt, cheddar (as part of your Healthy Extra A and freshly chopped coriander)