Cooking time is based on a 2kg whole chicken. Be sure to check the temperature 5 minutes before the end of cooking to avoid overcooking.
Prep Time: 5 MinCook
Time: 45 Min
Total Time: 50 Min
Yield: 2kg chicken
- 1 x 2kg (4.4 pounds) whole chicken
- 10g (0.35 ounces) unsalted butter – softened
- a drizzle of oil
- salt and black pepper to season
Remove your chicken fron the fridge 30 minutes before cooking
- Add 250ml of water to the ceramic cooking pot and put the cook and crisp basket in.
- Using butcher’s string, loosely tie the legs of the chicken together – just to keep them out of the way. Rub a little softened butter along with a drizzle of oil over the chicken and season with salt and pepper.
- Put the chicken into the Cook & Crisp basket and place it into the cooking pot.
- Slide the lid lock to the middle position and select Steam Roast. Set the temperature to 180°C and the time to 45 minutes, although you should check the temperature at 40 minutes.
- I have found that it’s best to turn the chicken around halfway through cooking to ensure it cooks evenly. Use a tea towel to turn the cooking basket a full 180 degrees and shut the lid again – the cooker will automatically continue to cook where it left off.
- Use a kitchen thermometer so you can be sure your chicken is cooked.
- Check that the chicken has reached no less than 75C (167F) all over – although I go for 80c (175f) remember the chicken will get hotter as it rests.
- Remove the chicken using kitchen tongs onto a large plate as juices will run out as it rests.
- Important: cover with kitchen foil and leave it to rest for at least 20 minutes before carving – it will stay hot for a good while.