How to make tandoori chicken tikka skewers. Quick and easy recipe, like the UK Indian takeaway or restaurant.
Chicken breast in a simple marinade of tandoori masala spices, fat-free yoghurt, garlic, and lemon. Red food colouring optional.
Can be cooked in many ways, such as air fryer, griddle, pan, grill, oven, or on the BBQ.
Dry chicken tikka Indian starter or with rice and salad as your main meal. Low calorie, low fat, and syn free on Slimming World. Can be made ahead and frozen.
- Prep Time 10 mins
- Cook Time 15 mins
- Marinade Time 2 hrs (optional)
- Total Time 25 mins
- syn free on Slimming World.
- 2-3 Large Chicken Breast Cubed
- 4 tablespoon Fat Free Yoghurt Can use full fat instead
- 2 tablespoon Tandoori Masala Spice Blend Powder Can use Garam Masala instead
- 2 cloves Garlic Crushed
- 1 Lemon ½ for the juice, ½ sliced into wedges to serve
- Spray oil
- 6 drops Red Food Colouring To give Tandoori Chicken Tikka a red colour
- 1 tablespoon Chopped Coriander to sprinkle on top of chicken after cooking
- Side salad of Lettuce, Cucumber, Tomatoes and Onion
- Mint Ratia
- It is best to soak wooden skewers in water whilst prepping the chicken. Cut them to the size of the pan or tray you are cooking them in.
- In a bowl or food bag, mix together yoghurt, tandoori masala, garlic and the lemon juice.
- Add red food colouring if you want your tandoori chicken red.
- Add cubed chicken breast and stir to coat.
- Placing cutup cubes of chicken into a silver bowl into the tandoori yoghurt mixture
- For best results leave to marinate for 2 hours in the fridge.
- If you have not got the time, just get straight on with threading the kebabs; they will still be delicious!
- Thread the chicken onto the kebab sticks you should have between 4-6 sticks worth of chicken
Method Of Cooking:
- PAN/GRIDDLE: Spray the pan with spray oil and bring to medium heat, cook for about 20 minutes (10 minutes on each side, turning only once)
- AIR FRYER: Preheat to 180°C for 5 minutes, spray with oil and air fry for about 15 minutes. No need to turn halfway through.
- Spray a foiled tray with oil and cook in a preheated oven at 200°C Fan / 220°C Conventional, 425°F / Gas mark 7 for about 25 minutes turning halfway through cooking time
BBQ or Grill: spray bbq or grill with oil, cook on medium-high heat for 20 minutes, turning only once halfway through.
Whichever method you use to cook your chicken tikka skewers, always check the chicken is cooked throughout.
- Serve with salad, ratia and a wedge of lemon. Or with rice or in a wrap