Serves : 6
Prep time : 20 min
Cook time : 7 min
- 250g BerryWorld Blackcurrants, rinsed
- 75g castor sugar
- 2-3tbsp Cassis (Blackcurrant liqueur) or red fruit cordial
- 1⁄2 sachet gelatine
- 200ml/7fl oz double or whipping cream
- 2 large egg whites, at room temperature
Serve these mousses partly frozen for a refreshing summer dessert.
- Set aside a few sprigs of currants, then push the fruit off the stalks with a fork, into a pan saving any juice. Add half the sugar and heat through slowly until the sugar dissolves. Simmer for 2-3 minutes until the fruit has softened and the juices run out.
- Add the liqueur, stir in the gelatine and leave a few minutes for the gelatine to dissolve, stirring occasionally. Then set aside to cool.
- Whip the cream until softly peaking. Whisk the egg whites until stiff and then whisk in the rest of the sugar to give a glossy stiff consistency.
- When the fruit syrup is cool fold two thirds of it gently into the cream until well mixed, then gently fold in the whisked egg. When evenly mixed spoon it into the prepared glasses or serving dishes (or one large serving dish) at the same time folding in the rest of the fruit to give a rippled effect. Flatten the tops, chill until set and freeze for 15 minutes before serving. Decorate with the remaining fruit