This low-carb French onion soup is cheesy and flavorful. Make this bread-free soup in your slow cooker or Instant Pot.
Prep Time: 10 Minutes
Cook Time: 4 Hours
Total Time: 4 Hours 10 Minutes
Yield: Serves 6
- 2 large white onions, sliced thin (approximately 2 pounds)
- 6 cups low-sodium beef or your preferred broth
- 2 cups cheese (or more)
- 1 tablespoon butter or oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- Add all the ingredients except the cheese to the slow cooker. Stir to mix well.
- Cook high 3-4 hours, low 6-8. Remove bay leaf.
- See final step below
- Set Instant Pot to the high saute setting. Once hot, add butter/oil. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 3-5 minutes. Add garlic and cook an additional minute. Turn off pressure cooker.
- Pour in broth and deglaze the bottom of the pressure cooker by scraping all the bits off with a wooden spoon. Stir in salt, pepper and thyme. Add bay leaf.
- Close lid and seal valve. Set high pressure and cook for 25 minutes, natural release. Remove bay leaf.
See final step below
Final Step (you will need ovenproof bowls)
Preheat broiler. Ladle the soup evenly into bowls & each bowl evenly with cheese. Arrange bowls on a large baking sheet. Place baking sheet carefully under the boiler and broil a few minutes or until cheese is melted and starting to brown slightly.
Calories Per Serving: 200Total Fat: 13.8g | Saturated Fat: 8.1g | Cholesterol: 44.7mg | Total Carbohydrate: 5.6g | Dietary Fiber: 0.9g | Sugars: 2.7g | Protein: 13.9g |