A low carb keto mozzarella sticks recipe with a crispy outside and gooey, cheesy inside? YES! Keto cheese sticks need just 6 ingredients – super easy!
- 12 pieces Mozzarella string cheese (each cut in half)
- 2 tbsp Coconut Flour *1 large Egg (beaten)
- 1/2 cup Blanched Almond Flour
- 1/2 cup Crushed pork rinds
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp Garlic powder (optional)
- Oil for frying (optional)
Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- place coconut flour in a small bowl. Beat the egg in a second small bowl. Mix the almond flour, pork rinds, and Italian seasoning in a third bowl.
- Dredge each piece of mozzarella in coconut flour. Dip it in the egg, shaking off the excess. Roll in the almond flour mixture until well coated, then place on the lined cookie sheet. Repeat with all the mozzarella (don’t let the pieces touch on the cookie sheet).
4 .Place the cookie sheet in the freezer for at least one hour, or until ready to bake. (Don’t skip this step! It’s necessary to prevent the cheese from oozing out during baking.)
frying instructions (recommended):
Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a skillet over medium heat. Once hot, fry the mozzarella sticks in a single layer, 1-2 minutes per side. They are done when they are golden brown and soft inside when pressed gently.
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Take the cookie sheet out of the freezer and place in the oven (preferably onto the second rack from the lowest). Bake for 4-5 minutes, until the bottom side is golden. Flip and bake for 3-4 more minutes, until golden on the other side.
Serving size: 4 low carb mozzarella sticks
*You’ll have coconut flour left over. I subtracted this from the nutrition info, but either way it’s not a significant difference.
Nutrition facts do not include oil if you use the frying method.
NUTRITION INFORMATION PER SERVING
Calories: 250 | Fat: 18.6g | Total Carbs: 5.9g | Net Carbs: 3.8g | Fiber: 2.1g | Sugar: 0.5g | Protein: 16.8g